Have you ever gone through your google analytics report and wondered how you could exclude the unnecessary traffic? Also, how can you engage traffic on only a specific part of your webpage?
These are some common questions that might come to your mind when you want to enhance your web page’s performance. And this is where Filter in Google Analytics comes into the picture.
Besides gathering better information from your site’s data, google website analytics filters will exclude, manipulate and create. These three goals will help you track your web page’s traffic easily and would even allow you to refine your business development strategies.
To better understand the usage of filters in google analytics, let’s look at a simple example.
You are running a local or a small business that has its blog page. Now, different visitors, both international and interstate, would attract your website. While analyzing your Google Analytics reports, you would conclude that some visitors are not interested in your brand, and they wouldn’t stay longer on your website. Therefore, in such a case, you can exclude them by using filters. This process will help you in knowing about your target audience and their interest. However, the main important task of a filter is to exclude the internal traffic from the company’s team members because they might distort your website’s performance.
Key Benefits Of Using Filters In Google Analytics :
1. Data Security: Being aware of the increase in cybercrimes, it is vital to secure the data. Therefore, by using filters, it becomes easier to segregate the data according to the requirements. For instance, you want to provide access to the company’s content team and restrict all the other departments from viewing the company’s blogs. In such a scenario, determining the content by creating a filter will help you access the content creation department.
2. Highly Convenient: Sometimes, while working for a specific client, it becomes necessary to keep track of a particular subset. For example, if you want to consistently check the report of American visits, applying a filter makes the process more efficient. Moreover, if your users are not having the technical knowledge of Google Analytics, a filtered view will help them to go through the website in a much better way.
3. Include or Exclude IP Addresses: With filters, it becomes more accessible than ever to exclude or include some specific IP addresses efficiently. It will help in eliminating the unwanted traffic and will include the necessary ones.
Process Of Creating Filter View In Google Analytics :
Step 1: Firstly, log in to your Google Analytics account.
Step 2: Click Admin. For adding the new View, select Account and Property.
Step 3: In the View column, you need to open the dropdown menu and tap on Create New View. Now, enter a name for the new View. Click Create View and save.
Step 4: For selecting Filters, go to the View column. Here, add a new filter to the View, select + Add Filter.
Step 5: Enter a name for the Filter.
Step 6: For selecting predefined filter types, click Predefined Filter. To customize the filters, select Custom Filter.
Step 7: By clicking the Available Views list, select the View where you want to apply the Filter. Click Add and Save.
Here are a few ways in which custom filters in google analytics on websites can be used:
Include/Exclude a Country:
- Name the filter and select the filter type, i.e., Custom (include or exclude).
- Choose a city or country.
- Add a nominated city or country.
- Verify your filter and save.
Exclude Internal IP:
- Name your filter and select a filter type as Predefined.
- Choose exclude and select traffic from IP addresses.
- Paste the IP address and save.
Lowercase and Uppercase Filter:
- Write the name of your filter. Select Custom.
- Select Lowercase or Uppercase.
Include Traffic from a Device
- Add your filter name. Select Custom and Include.
- Add Device Category in Filter Field.
- Select Mobile in Filter Pattern.
- Then Save.
How To Test Your Filters?
Once you’ve set up your filter, it’s time to test its functionality. For that, Go to View from admin and click the Filters screen. By following these instructions, you can easily see whether the filer is working correctly or not. However, the condition for testing the filter is that you must have sufficient data before 7 days.
The Bottom Line
Google Website Analytics is known for providing a detailed analysis of the users’ behaviors visiting your website and the statistics. Filter in google analytics is an extraordinary feature in Google Analytics that can be used to exclude, include, and create some specific data. Furthermore, Google Analytics gives an option to create customized and predefined filters for some advanced preferences.
Are you looking to hire the best web development company to leverage result-oriented website development services that can help you stand out from the competition and reach your target audience? Propel Guru, the top web development company, offers full-fledged website development services at reasonable prices to help your business build a strong online presence.
CEO & Founder
15+ years leading business operations and client management in the segments of digital marketing and CRM. Driven by test-driven development paradigms, and exceedingly collaborative across all disciplines (from stakeholders to product to design to development to users – and back again).
Hire the best Digital Marketing Company from Canada. Choose certified Digital Marketing Specialists from Propel Guru now.